PDA

View Full Version : Xbox has higher ping and very variable download speeds with upgraded internet and new modem

wireless
12-18-2016, 04:33 AM
Hi, I recently upgraded to 100mbs internet and received a t3200m modem. I am enjoying the upgrades for most things but gaming has become worse. The first thing I noticed was ping increased from 21-24ms to 36ms. I am also getting extremely variable download speeds through the Xbox test. I am hard wired and can get as high as 95. However, most of the time I am low 60mbs and have dropped as low as 8 down/25 up. The speed test is quite inconsistent even if I am the only one home. The tech, who had to come back to fix the television (wasn't working with the coaxial on the new router so he brought a wireless box) suggested problems with the Xbox. Well today, I upgraded to a brand new Xbox s and the inconsistency remains. I am experiencing more lag playing Overwatch than I was before the upgrade. I have bridged to a quite old d-link n wireless router and my ping is usually a bit better. 32ms although sometimes 36 as well.

i have port forwarded all the recommended Xbox ports and set the Xbox up to be forwarded through the router advanced settings but no improvement. Could it be a problem with the router? I tried to get the tech to try a new one but he blamed the Xbox itself for the speeds and coaxial technology for the tv. Instead he drove an hour to get a wireless box and took 4+ hours total. As he was leaving he did offer to try a new one but at that point I had stuff to get done, make supper, and I just found him to be annoying and unprofessional. I am willing to put the t3200m in bridge mode and buy a new inexpensive router to handle the Xbox if people think it will help. I will just disable the wifi. Will bridging just provide a free glow through the t3200m or could it remain problematic? Could he have messed something up when he added the second wire (he needed to add a wire to go from 50 to 100). My older one did help a bit sometimes. I am also considering requesting a new tech check this guys work. There is a wire hanging out of the box now and I am not convinced the first guy is overly qualified.

Other things to note. My firewall settings on the router are nat only. My iPad has slightly variable speeds as well, but no real super poor results like the Xbox. Ping tests to google.com or google.ca get 26-32ms. So my ping times are up 50% on Xbox one s and I am getting some lag (noticeable through the kill cam on overwatch) that wasn't there before. Nothing terrible, but a step backwards as far as gaming goes.

More... (http://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-TV-Home-Phone/Xbox-has-higher-ping-and-very-variable-download-speeds-with/m-p/67254#M10207)