View Single Post
Old 02-08-2023, 04:51 AM

Default Smart device and 2.4 GHZ

Another question about connecting smart devices requiring a 2.4 GHZ connection.

Background
- I have several smart devices (Meross smart bulbs, HomePod, Chromecast audio, Google Nest Mini) already hooked up to my WiFi.
- WiFi was previously using Smart Steering and I had no issues with setup/accessing/controlling my devices

Now
- I have a new smart device (Meross Smart Plug with Matter. model: MSS115) that was a huge pain to connect to the WiFi. In trouble shooting I learned about Smart Steering (new to me) and disabled it. This finally allowed me to connect the Meross plug. I also made sure the 2.4 GHZ SSID was the same name as my normal SSID so that WiFi name/password would be the same. Even if my phone is on the 5 GHZ WiFi, I can control the Meross Smart Plug.
- I thought I could re-enable Smart Steering once I had connected the Meross Smart Plug (same SSID/password). But it turns out, every time I re-enable Smart Steering, my Meross Smart Plug is not accessible. All my other devices still are. When I check in the Network Device Table, it appears the plug is connected to 2.4 GHZ

Question
- Why won't it work when Smart Steering is on?
- What solutions can you suggest to allow it to still be controlled with Smart Steering on?

More...