Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums  

Go Back   Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums > Cell Phone Talk > TELUS Home Services & Devices
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2018, 06:07 AM

Default Better wifi performance: Actiontec T3200 or other router?

I’m renting a large five bedroom house. It’s an older house with no Ethernet cables installed behind the walls. There are numerous phone lines and split coaxial cables. I’m waiting to get PureFibre 150 installed but the line will enter through the garage, which is in the corner of the house. Currently, Telus has me setup with the max speed Telus 25 over copper (they say I’m far away from the street terminal and can only guarantee 25 over the copper). The Actiontec T3200 modem is strategically placed in the living room which is quite centered on the first floor, but I believe it’s using two (bonded?) phone lines and a coaxial to achieve that bandwidth it’s pulling from the garage line. To spread the wifi around the house the tech installed the Extender in the garage using a coaxial to Ethernet converter and named the network the same so it would almost be seamless moving from one network to the other.

My question is, when we have PureFibre 150 installed, how will I get the maximum bandwidth to the living room if there are no Ethernet cables going from the garage to the living room? And should I nix the Extender and get a better performing wifi router than the Actiontec T3200?

More...