Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums  

Go Back   Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums > Cell Phone Talk > TELUS Home Services & Devices
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-04-2020, 11:05 PM

Default Problems with Internet 50 and DSL

Hello. Over the last month we've had problems with our Internet 50 and Optik Television service and was wondering if anyone can help provide some insight on what might be the problem. We've had five site visits by Telus over the last three weeks to try to fix our problems, and they can't seem to resolve the issue.

We have DSL Internet 50 on a bonded pair connection with Optik TV. For the past 2-3 years we've had consistent and very stable speeds of 60-61 Mbps Download and 11.5 Mbps Upload. Rather suddenly about a month ago, the speeds dropped to anywhere from 17-19 Mbps Down and 3-4 Mbps Upload. The Optik TV became heavily pixelated and the picture would freeze for several seconds at a time. I phoned Telus Support and they conducted a test over the phone and said that Line 2 of our bonded pair keeps disconnecting due to noise.

The 1st technician came out and replaced the Telus modem with a T3200M, said there was nothing wrong with the lines (even though I told him Telus Tech Support told me Line 2 of our bonded pair was dropping out), and he went down to the DSLAM (less than 1/2 KM away) and "increased our capacity". This helped increase our speeds up to about 55 Mbps down, but speeds dropped back down into the 20Mbps range a day later.

The 2nd technician came and did some work on the box on the side of the house and at the DSLAM. Download speed improved again to 50Mbps, but we realized later in the day that we weren't getting any Optik TV.

The 3rd technician came out and discovered that 2nd technician didn't load the Optik TV profile after performing the work. After changing our profile and doing some wire work at the phone jack where the T3200M is connected, we were able to get Optik TV. He did a bunch of testing on the lines inside the house, and said the problems we're having are related to noise on the line between the DSLAM and the house. He said there was nothing wrong with the wiring inside the house. He said he couldn't do any line repair, and would contact the Line Repair team to come out later in the week to take a look at things.

A couple days later, Line Repair came out with the trucks and ran a new line from the pole outside our home to the Telus box on the side of the house. They said to give it about 24hrs to see if that helps resolve the issue, and from my understanding, if it didn't we would need to schedule another technician to install a temporary "drop line" to run from the box on the side of the house directly to the T3200M.

The 4th technician came out last weekend and said he swapped out one of the lines and increased our profile to a 70Mbps profile. He said that because I was using a 3rd party home router for our wi-fi and network, he couldn't trouble shoot any TV or Internet issues while the router was connected the T3200M. He then attempted run his own ethernet cable directly form the T3200M to the Optik PVR. I said that wasn't necessary as the TV issues were related to the slow Internet, and if he was able to fix that then that should resolve the TV issues. He said slow Internet would not cause pictures freezes or pixelation on our Optik TV (????). Any way, he was able to improve our Internet speeds to 52-57 Mbps down, and 11.5 Mbps Up, and the TV issues seemed resolved. But after 24-48 hours later, our speeds had dropped down to around 39-40 and we began to occasionally experience brief picture freezes on our Optik TV.

I phoned Telus tech support and they had me power cycle the T3200M which helped for about an hour, but speeds have again dropped. Any suggestions on what might be causing these issues? Speeds are at least consistent now, but not nearly as good as they were and still quite a bit below 50Mbps speeds. I'm dreading having to phone Telus yet again regarding this!

More...