Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums  

Go Back   Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums > Buying, Selling, Wanting > Real Estate
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2012, 01:38 AM

Default Vanilla Mastercard is a SCAM AVOID AVOID BEWARE RED ALERT

Vanilla Mastercard is a SCAM AVOID AVOID BEWARE RED ALERT

Purchased card, left active.

Went for a refund, due the the exchange rates, I got a credit that put the value of the card over the 25 dollar limit.

Their "compliance" department flagged the account and closed account. They are asking for the receipt of the original purchase of the CARD, that was nearly 3 years ago..

They put me through circles on their IVR. merchant said he can no longer void the refund.

premium_fax@incomm.com
AVOID.

5113-4084 XXXX XXXX

vanillamastercard.com
vanillamastercard.ca
For good reason, they "recommend that you write down the Card number and the customer service number on a separate piece of paper in case the Card is lost or stolen."

The Vanilla Prepaid Mastercard Customer Service Number is 1-800-652-9174.

other stuff posted about this company online

Last year my Mom received a Vanilla Mastercard Gift Card for $50.

She did manage to purchase one item at one store using the card but it did not work for other purchases at many other stores including Sears, Zellers and the Bay.

On the back of the card it states:

A service fee of $1.50 per month beginning on the 13th month from the day of purchase will be applied to the remaining balance as permitted by law.

We logged on to the web site to figure out what the remaining balance was. Here we discovered that a $2.50 per month service charge was applied to the remaining balance after 7 months! This is totally different to what is started on the back of the card.

This was explained on the FAQ page. This should be enough convince anyone with any common sense that these gift cards are about the dumbest gift you can give.

Fellow babblers - Is this legal?

. .

Diogenes

rabble-rouser

Member: 17394

December 24, 2009 - 3:50pm
#1 (permalink).

So I phoned the 1-800 number to protest the charges but all that is offered is a phone menu that provides the remaining balance and restates the $2.50 per month service charge. There was no option to talk to a real person.

I then sent an email to a law firm that is known for its class action lawsuit expertise with respect to excessive credit card fees.

An excerpt from the Vanilla Mastercard FAQ page:

Quote:

#10 Aren't these cards exempt from fees and expiration dates in some provinces?

No, recent legislation does not apply to prepaid cards issued by a financial institution.

No doubt the bankers are giving themselves nice bonuses for masterminding this loophole.

. .

Tommy_Paine

rabble-rouser-for-life

Member: 1214

December 24, 2009 - 5:13pm
#2 (permalink).

I guess it all depends on what information was made available to the purchaser of the card in the first place. Knowing banks, I bet it was in some fine print somewhere. And, I think it gets even dodgier because the person whose card it is, never knew that information in the first place.

Legal or otherwise, it's "sharp practice".

And, I'll certainly remember this and many other things if I'm ever on a jury for someone accused of defrauding a bank.

And, bully for you, contacting a law firm. Can you keep us posted? I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by alandbetty : 05-13-2012 at 01:42 AM.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:51 AM

Vanilla Mastercard Customer Service Telephone Number

Posted September 13th, 2008 by Phone-Number-Admin

Have one of those Prepaid Mastercards that are branded as the "Vanilla Prepaid Mastercard" and issued by "Peoples Trust"?

Here is their phone number if you need to call them: 1.800.652.9174 which is a toll-free call, you should even be able to call it for free from a payphone.

If your card was lost/stolen and used fraudulently, you should have the same protections as you would with a regular credit card. Call them!

Just a note from their Cardholder Agreement: "If a Balance remains on the Card for more than six (6) months after the purchase date, we may deduct from the Balance a service fee of $2.50 per month beginning on the first month after six (6) months from the purchase date."

These cards are non-reloadable.

For more information on Prepaid Mastercards and Visa Cards and Canada, take a look at my article on Canada's Best Prepaid Cards

Phone-Number-Admin's blog

It is still not working!!

On June 18th, 2011 Angry Vanilla Prepaid Mastercard User (not verified) says:

So i have bough a prepaid vanilla mastercard last friday and I have tried to use it online, and it said "YOUR CREDIT CARD IS DECLINED." I didnt know what was wrong with it and so i went back to the moneymart store and told em so, but the lady just told me that when I purchase the card it isnt actually $25 on the card so i was freaking out cause not only was there like an extra $4 bucks you had to pay along with $25. and so i went on the website and check the amount thats on it, and it showed me that i have $25 on it. so i was like okay, ill try today again (today is saturday). and so then i tried again and failed again. Then i found this forum from google and read that you have to activate it online by giving your postal code in capitals, And so I gladly did thinking that it would work. Do I have to wait abit after it is activated with the postal code? Because this card isnt freaking working yet and I am angered lol. Someone, Any Help!?!?

It is still not working!!!

On June 18th, 2011 Angry Vanilla Prepaid Mastercard User (not verified) says:

oh and I have forgot to mention that With shipping included+Taxex, my products were to come out as $23.95 . SHIPPING AND TAX INCLUDED. What do I do?!!? anyone help me please?! Are these cards truly scams?!

The only idiots having problems using this card...

On July 26th, 2011 Pubes (not verified) says:

...are the ones who don't register it.

Here's a step by step for those of you too slow to use something as simple as a pre-paid card.

1) When you purchase the card, register it ASAP

2) Wait at least an hour after purchase before trying to use the card.

3) If it still doesn't work, call their toll free support line, and when it asks to put the card number in, simply enter 0 (zero) then # (pound), and you will get transferred to a live representative who will help you.

I followed those three simple steps and have not had any issues.. now stop being retards.

Found a customer service rep.

On August 12th, 2011 Shellz (not verified) says:

If youre having trouble finding an actual human being to talk to this is how i got one!

enter your information as it prompts.
then go into the option that allows you to report a lost or stolen card.
after listening to all that there should be an option to talk to a representative. or it will connect you automatically.

they also activated my card number for online purchases and after i got off the phone, i was able to make my purchase.

hope i helped

0.06 remaining blance

On August 17th, 2011 NameLess (not verified) says:

I used the card, bought a few things, now I have 0.06 cents remaining in balance. Does this allow them to send fees because its not at 0? If so, how do I end the card, I have no use for it, they can take the 6 cents.

ripped off for my birthday

On August 24th, 2011 NameLess (not verified) says:

i just got ripped off for my birthday money by vanilla master card. cannat register it.says i have a problem with my account, ccount is a postal code so how is that? 100s of ppl have the same postal code. for my bd i got ripped off by vanilla card

ahhhh!

On August 28th, 2011 NameLess (not verified) says:

I bought my 100 dollar vanilla mastercard 3 days ago and registered it but today when I tried to buy online the site said my card had been denied. I tried this on another site and It said the same thing. I have not used it for anthing yet and both purchases were denied even though they were both under 20 dollars. Does anyone know why this is happening?

Service Charge

On August 29th, 2011 NameLess (not verified) says:

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a service charge when you buy the Vanilla card. I have looked through their website and can't find any reference to the $5.95 (for a $100 card) service charge that I was charged. Is Petro Canada the only company charging this?

Everywhere charges this, it

On January 7th, 2012 Shannon (not verified) says:

Everywhere charges this, it is just to activate the card.
It says right on the packaging, each different amount has a different activation fee.

I tried to buy online

On October 26th, 2011 NameLess (not verified) says:

I tried to buy online products and the $200 card was declined,the card is active as I purchased gas and had no problem,the online form requests a card holders name,what do you put?

You have to go and register

You have to go and register your card to shop online (put in zip/postal code)

I bought a prepaid card and

On December 5th, 2011 Steve (not verified) says:

I bought a prepaid card and they made a mistake at the store, now i have to fax in a copy of my reciept and weeks to get a new one, Why cant it be activated over the phone or back at the store, I dont need it in two weeks, i need it now, such a joke, really upset with the service and the card

Finally got it to work

On December 26th, 2011 Devon (not verified) says:

I finally got mine to work. This is my second. I had problems with the second and the first, but I usually end up getting them to work.... You have to wait approx. 1 Hour for them to activate, and then regitser online at VanillaMastercard.com. You then go to "Register my Card" and put in your Zip Code. Mine wasn't working, it kept saying "Zip Code Invalid" But the I changed my area from Usa to Canada. (I made the mistake of chosing the wrong area at the start) And it worked fine after. I purchased Borderlands and Audio Surf off of Steam

BULLSHIT. RIPOFF. I bought a

On January 5th, 2012 NameLess (not verified) says:

BULLSHIT. RIPOFF. I bought a $50 Vanilla gift card and its declined.. ripoff. i tried too call customer service and no number. stupid

Call the number on the card,

Call the number on the card, and put all 0 for numbers it asks, at the end it will tell you something is wrong with the card and gives you an option for customer service.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:52 AM

I was tring too use my pre

On January 5th, 2012 NameLess (not verified) says:

I was tring too use my pre paid card and i was mad cause it was declined like 10 times. i called customer service and for certin websites such as Facebook ect they need to put a code in. When i called customer service i got to talk to a live person by punching in the WRONG number of my card and gives you the option to talk to someone.. hope this works for yous

To get ahold of a customer

To get ahold of a customer service rep I called the number on the back of the card (1-800-652-9174)
When asked for the 16 digit number I put (0000-0000-0000-0000)
Exp Date (00-00)
3 digit code on the back of card (000)

It then told me that there was something wrong with the card and gave me an option to contact a customer service rep.

vailla prepaid mastercard

On January 7th, 2012 NameLess (not verified) says:

I bought pre paid vanilla cards and have used them to gamble online. not a problem at all.

i would like to know if you could buy these cards online..using paypal to pay for them and then receive the number to be able to use right away online.

does anyone have the email

On January 14th, 2012 NameLess (not verified) says:

does anyone have the email for vanilla mastercard, I have an issue with my activation and they told me to email them but I forgot what the email was can SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME

its premium_fax@incomm.com

On January 18th, 2012 NameLess (not verified) says:

its premium_fax@incomm.com

Master Card not working

On January 16th, 2012 David M (not verified) says:

Hey so i purchased the $50vanilla master card and when i visit the website it says sytem error? what do i do?

Awful service, awful Card

On January 18th, 2012 NameLess (not verified) says:

I received a Vanilla mastercard as a gift. Wow, these people really know how to make a nice gift a pain in the ass. My card was already supposed to be activated, but they had no record of this. So I had to go to the store to find the activation code, but they wouldn't give it to me. So, i called them back and I have to scan my card, my ID etc etc. and call them back after 4 hours "just to make sure they received it".

The people working at the call centre sound like they are doing drugs, the last lady was slurring and laughing at god know what. I don't trust these people with my ID and I would NEVER NEVER buy one of these Mastercards.

Be warned!

Reasons why Vanilla are Pains in the a$$

On February 17th, 2012 NameLess (not verified) says:

The clerk doesnt know 50% of the time that he has to activate the card by slippin it trough his own vendor machine . that's number 1 problem y card doenst work.

Also, theres a 30 to 45 mins delay for the card to be ready for use. If you try to use it within that range youre card will most likely get banned

i got informed on a Van'

On February 24th, 2012 Mario (not verified) says:

i got informed on a Van' Mastercard and for a 50 dollar card it cost me 54.95, i want to use it online for a one time purchase, i understand you have to register it? why? and is there a fee for this.

Uggh, My Card Wont Work

On March 6th, 2012 NameLess (not verified) says:

I bought a $50 dollar prepaid mastercard, knowing that it would enable me to buy things online. so i got home and i tried buying $42 dollar shorts and it rejected my card. I thought it might just be the fact that it might take 24 hours to activate, but today when i went to use it, it didnt work either. I am so pissed off. anybody know how to resolve my problem?

a headache and a burden for christmas

On March 11th, 2012 NameLess (not verified) says:

I registered the card, talked to Terry on customer service, he put the postal code in, its been more than an hour. It is still being declined. I don't understand what I am missing.

The vanillamastercard.com

On March 28th, 2012 LooseCannon (not verified) says:

The vanillamastercard.com site wont even let me change my postal code says theres a site failure. fuck this shit, ceo better hope i dont find his address

denide

On April 8th, 2012 Gage (not verified) says:

i bought a pre paid vanilla master card $50 card and it said it was denide

stolen

On April 11th, 2012 Josg (not verified) says:

So I had two $100 cards but they were stolen what do I do if I don't know there card #'s

Vanilla MasterCard Canada: Awful

On April 16th, 2012 Andrew (not verified) says:

Our 13 year old daughter received two of these cards $50 and $25 for her birthday from friends. Presumably,
this was a simple solution for busy parents (of our daughter's friends) who wanted to ensure
she could get something she really wanted. Having put them in her desk drawer and forgotten
about them, she went to use them recently and both were declined. After some investigation,
it looks like monthly service fees eroded the balances down to zero. I have reviewed
many of the comments on this board and some seem like they might be posted by damage control
firms trying to re-direct the narrative on this product. The practice of winnowing down the balance of
a gift card for an unsophisticated 13 year old (or unsophisticated consumer for that matter) is SHAMEFUL.
I am frankly surprised that the Canadian regulatory environment allows it. The disgusting corporate managers
at MasterCard probably have a position when questioned by the government - ie "it costs money to run the call centre
to support the cards and there is risk associated with fraud so we need to charge consumers to offer this invaluable
service to Canadians, etc. ". Do not be fooled - you have effectively been mugged by MasterCard. I think the U.S. is
cracking down on this kind of stuff - it's too bad that Canada didn't act to set the example.
Old 11-08-2021, 07:30 PM

скон306.5PERFBettLymaЕленШундRichМелеБохмRabiHerdВесеКуцеAuroMicrШклоTescГерсUnit
кончрадирукоФелиКитаtechCurvNathRichвнутЖураромаCleaСодевзбвКашаPartOreaCleaсерт
NiveOreaназвфакуPaleSimoJohnVoguJeweChanтканTrasMystFeliWillPoweДержЕвпаFeelВлас
КравотдеКолбGIUDVentPaliFredтрадFranтрад*озеАбраГерамудрочерMurddiamBellЛопаASAS
красPlatБуриЧереPUREменясыноZoneменястарZoneкараИсаеZoneХусеNortЦзинDenyКрисFore
вперStanфакуБогурекоLouiКросавтоXVIIЛебеHenrEttoпереПереАлекстрапамяселеMPEGнапи
ArdoIritзелеTherToloBookсертMist4901Para*оссМатюBobiNISSхоротуриврачFolkCleaSons
пазлPete*оссSilvКитаCakewwwcWindNeilBranсертAmstAdvaКоваконкAlleDeepKillСамаAgat
ТамопрепAcadпереАПСмГороФедосодеИсаеJeffoperКостBestприкАПЧегруппринAudiShreWind
BerlLeonАрбаошибСодеХаусавтовоспГусеКозлофицКонсЛогвШаркWalkГаллChanотзылитеМатв
СергВифлЧернФридКривMPEGMPEGMPEGIcedХохлЖукоWhenCharТопоЖиряOZONBetsСухиTranЧинд
tuchkasКогаАнто