Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums  

Go Back   Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums > Help Wanted
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2018, 04:36 PM

Default Tourist Visa for 25 year old

Hi,

One of my cousin is getting married in the USA. And my uncle is inviting me and my parents to attend the wedding.
Both my parents have a visa visa and I am going to apply for the first time.

I have finished my education and I currently do not work .

My Uncle will be sending the wedding invitation on my name.

What else do I need to carry besides the card and regular visa documents?
And what are my chances?

P.S - I am applying from Hyderabad Consulate
Old 05-18-2018, 01:41 PM

When you have your interview, it's up to you to convince the consular officer that you intend to visit only and that you won't abuse the tourist visa and stay. The thing is with US immigration is that all immigration officers have to assume everyone has "immigrant intent" which means the onus is on you to convince them beyond reasonable doubt that you won't abuse the visa. In the current climate, being young and having no particular ties to your home country and indeed being from certain countries can cause issues - however, If you have a job, rent/own a property etc, provide evidence of this to prove ties that will show you have responsibilities in your country that you aren't likely to abandon, this is the best evidence. If you are a student, provide evidence for this such as your ID or letter from someone of authority at your school or if you're employed, pay stubs, a letter from your employer confirming you will be coming back to that job on your return. Also try to provide evidence that you can financially support yourself for the duration of your visit.When you attend the interview ensure you provide the wedding invitation with your name, place, date and time etc, as it shows you're there for a specific reason. Any documents you can get hold of proving you have family in the U.S is always useful as they can tie you to a particular person, so copies of their green cards, passports etc is useful to have on hand just in case. It's not necessary, but since it's your responsibility to convince them you're genuine, taking more evidence is ideal, even if they don't use it. If you take this kind of evidence, you shouldn't have an issue getting approved for a tourist visa, but remember that they always assume each person applying for a visa is intending to remain in the U.S. past their authorized stay, and it's your job to use evidence that tells them you will not be doing that Form I-131 Application for Travel Document Further to this, should you be approved, remember that this doesn't guarantee you entry to the United States. When you arrive at a port of entry, in this case I assume it will be an airport, the customs and border protection (CBP) officer will make the final decision and can refuse you entry. So when you arrive, ensure you can provide the same evidence to them as you did at your interview, so you should be prepared to take that evidence with you. On top of this, providing proof of a return plane ticket home can help convince the CBP officer that you're here temporarily and won't abuse the visa.