Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums  

Go Back   Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums > General > Calgary News & Events
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 04:08 AM

Default Many ING Direct Canadian Account Holders Concerned about Privacy, ING App even collects other Apps' Data

Read More:
http://start.westnet.ca/westnetnews....ch-Information

Updated: 9th February 2014 00:22
New ING Direct Canada App Collects Too Much Information

WESTNET-HD First Coverage
Calgary's Very Own
Consumer Fairness Desk
Send To Friend
Comments
Share On Facebook

Many ING Direct Canadian Account Holders Concerned about Privacy, ING App even collects other Apps' Data - WESTNET-HD EXCLUSIVE AND FIRST

New ING Direct Canada App Collects Too Much Information

CALGARY - VIA WESTNET-HD ACTION NEWS: Scotia Bank owned ING Direct bank, released a spyware-type app on the Android platform that can be downloaded from Google Play store.

Concerned customers of ING Direct voiced their concerns;

"Retrieve running applications? How about no. I cringe so hard whenever I have to force myself to use this software" - Said ING Direct customer Jason K.; Another customer Mathew C. said "Privacy Concerns Does what it is supposed to. Could you explain to me why you all of the sudden need permission to see my running apps?"

Hasnain: "Privacy issues Why does the app suddenly want to know what OTHER applications I have running? If another update to remove this requirement does not come soon I will be uninstalling. Quite unhappy with this development."

Concerns even about Cellular Phone Cloning
In addition to collecting phone calls, location, and hardware information, the ING Direct collects the phone and serial number (ESN or MEID) of the users device. This data can be used to clone the users handset.;

A software security consultant who asked us to remain anonymous, told WestNet-HD Actions News that "ING's decision to release this application is alarming and should; be considered criminal, this (app) is like one downloading a hoard of spyware and malicious software on to their computer"
Even though, 100,000 Android Apps Collect Too Much Data, According to Bloomberg, the software security conultant who contacted us said whatever "ING is collecting, its way too much data for a Canadian Schedule Bank." As unseemly as that sounds, it's not uncommon. Security firm Bit9 found that more than 100,000 Android applications in Google's online marketplace were "suspicious" or "questionable" because of what they do in the background, such as location tracking, accessing contact lists and harvesting the contents of e-mail messages. Those functions go far beyond the programs' stated purpose.

A representative at ING Direct denied to comment on the matter and calls to Scotia Bank and ING Direct media relations departments were not returned.

More information:
Cell Phone Fraud | FCC.gov ING DIRECT Canada: ING DIRECT Canada: Forward Banking

Calgary News Releases

Copyright 2014 WestNet-HD Action News