Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums  

Go Back   Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums > Nightlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2012, 08:04 AM

Default The West Bar and Restaurant Night Club what a trashy, dirty unsafe place. VIDEO

225 7 Avenue Southwest Calgary, AB T2P, Canada
(403) 237-5556

My goodness, some patrons of African origin started a riot and tired to over through some other patrons off the roof top patio. AVOID.....

http://www.youtube.com/v/xYZ_Uw9y2vk>
Old 08-29-2012, 08:05 AM

This restaurant should be sued
by testing (1 review)
What kind of restaurant refuses to let its patrons come inside when the weather is inclement and then charges them for their drinks after they've been subjected to intense wind, rain, and hail for an extended period of time? This one.
This restaurant is so bad, I had to write a review. Five of us decided to have drinks and dinner at West. It was a cloudy evening, but we chanced sitting on the patio anyway. We were told that if it did start to rain, there would be no problem moving inside -- we would simply have to settle up our bill on the patio first. In the end, it did start to rain, but since it was light we (and the rest of the patrons on the busy patio) stayed outside. However, it soon became windy and cool so we asked to move inside. Our waitress changed her tune and told us that we could not -- she said the inside was now "closed" because "all the other patrons" wanted to stay outside and the entire serving staff was required outside to serve them. We... more »
2 out of 2 found this review helpful

August 22, 2012
Doesn't like it
Lacking
by YYCFoody (6 reviews)
The food here is pretty mediocre as you can see from the other reviews. Patio is nice during the week but a nightmare on weekends. The food and service are definitely not worth the wait.

July 27, 2012
Doesn't like it
Mobile review
by jerebe (2 reviews)
The ONLY redeeming quality about this place is the rooftop patio.. but to be honest - I'd rather not visit.
The service is terribly slow, the servers are extremely scantily clad.. and you can tell that most are hired based off looks, not good service skills or knowledge.
I don't know who is in the kitchen, but the food is mediocre at best. Very blah.. I've had better at dingy pubs.
If you like to wait forever (45 minutes!) for a drink, and even longer for bland food - this is the place to go!
Also, don't bother making a reservation.. they just lose them!
1 out of 1 found this review helpful

July 28, 2012
Doesn't like it
So Bad I had to Write review
by Beu (1 review)
Prime Burger - I ordered the Prime Burger..scratch that me and my 2 guests all ordered he prime burger....let me say this..midway through the meal one of the guests said he would be ecstatic at the sight of a burger king whopper on his plate instead of what was served to us...we all wholeheartedly agreed.
the burger tasted like an unspiced or unseasoned lump of meat paired with a cold over humidified bun. it looked worse.
you have 10 bouncers who've come straight from a gym equipment promotional video at the 3 security stops you'll have on your way to the 2nd floor...if you need that much security you shouldn't be in the restaurant business.
i could go on and on but I'm too tired...if you ever get to read this...save yourself the hassle go grab a fast food burger.. it'll be better and cheaper...if you have to go to a restaurant like a date,.....go anywhere else but here.
it was a horrible experience

May 2, 2012
Doesn't like it
What a joke.
by Yumo (27 reviews)
This place is by far the WORST place in Calgary. The bouncers are power tripping loser creeps who made me wait to get in just so they could stare at my chest for as long as possible - this I noticed and my friend told me she noticed once we were finally let in. The servers and bartenders all have an IQ of about 60 as no one seemed to know how to make typical drinks or actually order food. Drinks took about a half hour and we made a food order about 20 minutes later (after flagging our server down). Our server was so slow and rude that we decided to go else where before we got our food but who knows if she even ordered it! Being in the service industry for a large portion of my life, I understand everything that needs to happen and also everything that can go wrong but what is it with this place?? How do you hire such incompetent and rude staff?? They all feel they're better than you so they'll do what they're supposed to, but at their own pace. WAKE UP PEOPLE! You obviously know... more »
4 out of 4 found this review helpful

July 21, 2012
Doesn't like it
Overpriced waste of time
by tuba_18 (1 review)
So my night started with West losing the reservation for 25 people that they had confirmed just that morning. Then my drink was made wrong and when I requested the second be made correctly, it was wrong again. I ordered an appetizer that needed 20 seconds in a microwave, it took over half an hour to arrive, while others at my table arrived, ordered food, and received it in the meantime. And after being frustrated that in two hours the waitress had only been by enough to bring two drinks, she took a further 30 minutes to bring a bill. Overpriced, very mediocre bar.

July 20, 2012
Doesn't like it
Review
by wagner06 (1 review)
Not a place I'll every go back to! The drinks were lousy and I tried 2 different types and didn't like either as they had no flavor and would be surprised to hear they had liquor in them. Since I paid $8. for a drink and didn't finish either of them, what a waste. When we arrived we were told there was no reservation for us and there were 20 in our party. Fortunately we had the email saved to show the hostesses our confirmation. They pushed together some tables while we stood around waiting. Not the best way to start a going away party. The food orders took a long time to come out even though they were simple foods like fries and edamame beans. We did not see one person in the restaurant when we arrived or when we left and I checked this with 4 other people who left at different times from me. Not such a happening place after all.

August 6, 2012
Exceptional Party Place!
by Stuie (1 review)
I booked my wife's 30th birthday party here, then was a little unnerved by some of the reviews here... I guess the complainers are the only ones who post reviews?
I booked the 60's room a couple months in advance for 8 pm on a Saturday night with Darren at West, for about 40 people. This worked out really well. We had a room that was just for us most of the night, and we could go out and join the action whenever we liked. The room is also beautiful, just like the rest of the bar- incredible decor. The private room was key for a party that had a wide variety of guests. Some of the older guests stayed until about 11pm, and Darren at West made sure that the entire group had access to the rooftop patio all night.
Don't underestimate how cool the rooftop patio is... it has almost a Vegas nightclub vibe and was PACKED. There were a few dorks around in bow ties (I must be getting old), but it was all-in-all a very neat experience with a fantastic DJ, packed dance floor, and very... more »

August 18, 2012
Doesn't like it
Frustrating!
by janitah-ing (1 review)
I wish I had read the reviews before going here, definitely would have tried something else after reading what others have written...I booked a reservation a month in advance and when we got there I found out we didn't get booked in. I called earlier to confirm and no response. They almost ruined my best friends bachelorette. We got a table because of the manager, but I had to ask the extremely snotty hostesses twice to talk to him. The Bouncers were not very bright and unfriendly. Overall, I will never go back. They need to hire hostesses that want to be there and know something about customer service, not to sit around with overdone hair and too much makeup. They refused to even listen to the fact that our reservation was not booked, I had the email confirmation as proof. We were not given complimentary drinks or even an apology. If they had friendlier staff....mainly the bouncers and hostesses I would have returned as the dancing was fun and the manager did what he could to... more »

April 9, 2012
Doesn't like it
Will Never return
by Would you (13 reviews)
I had booked a guest list for my birthday and when we arrived, only half of the party was let in(all females), and the other half that was 6 males and one bigger girl were denied entrance even thought we had booked the party in advance. I was told that "if" they were let in, they would not "look like anyone else" in the bar and that would make an "awkward" situation. Needless to say, I took the 30+ people from my party and we went to spend our money someplace else! Assholes. WILL NEVER RETURN and will pass on how they wish to treat calgarians, they told me they are part of a larger chain and I can guarantee I will not be visiting any establisments that are owned or associated with "WEST Bar".
3 out of 3 found this review helpful

May 18, 2012
Likes it
Mobile review
by CgyMom (24 reviews)
Went here for lunch. We were there early around 11:15am on a Friday and it was not busy at all. Waitress was quite attentive but not overly so. Food was great and it came very quickly. To all those who gave bad reviews it should not reflect on the restaurant itself but the Bar at night. I've spoken to lots of others that have had great experiences at this restaurant.

August 7, 2011
Doesn't like it
I haven't eaten here...
by Mike Smythe (23 reviews)
But walking down Stephen Ave from a (wonderful) Summerstock production of Hairspray, my friend and I were alarmed and appalled by a young man wearing chef whites with the West logo on it, obviously a cook there, screaming at two guys sitting on a bench, proclaiming they were p*ss*es and f*gg*ts and wished them f*ck*ng luck in this industry... I suggest management tell their staff to get out of uniform before verbally assaulting people, as well as using profane language in a very busy part of town with lots of children walking around after a family event.
Absolutely disgusting. I will never set foot in west.
7 out of 7 found this review helpful

May 5, 2011
Doesn't like it
BAD BAD BAD!!!
by BENJI (24 reviews)
Been here twice in the last month for dinner! First time, it took the server nearly a hour to take our order, only to return 20 mins later, and tell us they're no longer offering half of their menu. Second time we ordered, and she came back over a hour later, telling us the printer in the kitchen was broken, and she had to re put our order in.. First time i went i ordered the rib, they were covered in a cold tomato sauce. Second time i ordered steak, tough to chew, but i do have to admit, it was half decent!

November 7, 2011
Doesn't like it
WORST dining experience EVER!
by Noodle lover (13 reviews)
and i've had some doozies. we had a group of 9 in and the waitress was CLUELESS. some of us ordered before the others (10 min apart max). 2.5 hours later... i actually had my food wrapped up and on the table before some of the people even got their food (as in way before). drinks took 10-15 min to get. it was like the waitress knew that she was going to get 18% tip so she didn't have to try. a friend ordered mashed potatoes but got fries (1.5 hours after she ordered it). Apparently they are transitioning menu's so they didn't have the ingredients for FOUR dishes but we didn't find out until after the waitress didn't ring in the food and then realized there were not items to make the food and had to come clean that she forgot to ring in her order. the manager (who knows his name he never introduced himself) started to "argue" and tell my friend "if you'd let me finish" - even though HE cut her off. my burger was so salty i took 2 bites and thought i'd pack it up... more »
3 out of 3 found this review helpful

September 7, 2011
Likes it
Lunch was Good
by oldsam (29 reviews)
Lots of bad reviews - growing pain perhaps?
Had lunch today and it was good. Young man serving was outstanding. Food was quick and good. Beer was prompt.
2 out of 3 found this review helpful

October 31, 2010
Doesn't like it
Mobile review
by I made you a cookie... (19 reviews)
I went there last week. Two words to sum it up: horrible experience! The place was nice and all but the service was slooow and the staff there was, lack of a better word, stupid. My friend had ordered some drinks and no one knew how to make it. Why is it even on the menu?

August 20, 2011
Doesn't like it
Mobile review
by mvp23 (3 reviews)
Nice patio but that's about it. Crappy beer selection especially for the steep price and staff aren't too friendly.

May 7, 2011
Doesn't like it
Offensively bad.
by Le Hammer (18 reviews)
Birthday dinner on a Saturday night, and it was just as bad as the business lunches.
- 1 server for a section with 25 people doing a b-day. Drink orders were only coming every 30-40 minutes.
- Food was not worth the steep price. Earls quality food at premium prices.
- Food took over an hour.
- The bill was automatically tipped out 15%. The server did not split the bill, so 25 people had to figure out what they owed.
- The doorman hassled a couple guys about wearing sneakers (leather pumas) and said we were lucky to get in.
Save your money and only come here if you're selling coke or into the d-bag scene.
4 out of 5 found this review helpful

April 5, 2012
Doesn't like it
Mobile review
by Lmh (4 reviews)
I've been here several times. Tonight was hands down the worst. Terrible service. Terrible wine. Not great food. Never outstanding. But terrible tonight especially. Won't be back unless I'm desperate for a sunny patio with bad food and bad service. Very young unknowledgeable server tonight. Worst!!!

November 7, 2011
Doesn't like it
Worst Service / Management EVER
by Meetz (8 reviews)
I have no problem tipping 20%, but forcing a 18% tip for crappy service, I don't think so.
Better off to go to a hot dog vendor on the street in 20 below weather.