Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums  

Go Back   Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums > Cell Phone Talk > TELUS Home Services & Devices
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2018, 12:53 AM

Default Help With Home Network Architecture/Layout

Hi, I need some help planning my network layout. I have 300GB fiber. Even though it is a new build townhouse there is no ethernet or phone wiring anywhere you would expect (Media wall, bedrooms, etc...) only in the flex room downstairs and in the kitchen.

My home is a three level townhouse. On the ground level is my garage and this is where my data panel is. On the second floor is my living room and it is where all my devices are (Optik TV, media server, AppleTV, PS4) these are the devices I want the most speed on.

Current setup:
In the garage data panel I have the Alcatel Fiber to ethernet and the Actiontec T3200M. The install tech used the Actiontec's MOCA to my living room. Coax comes into my living room and is split in 2 and there are 2 MOCA receivers. One MOCA to wifi extender via gigabit switch and the second to the Optik TV. The problem with this setup is that the wifi extender signal is iffy on the top third floor and I don't like that it is two different SSIDs. I tried to plug a third-party router into one of the MOCA receivers and put it in to bridge mode but the speeds were really awful.

What I would really like is the have the T3200M in my living room. Short of paying to pull a network cable up, is it possible to MOCA the Alcatel to the living room and put the T3200M there?

I also have GoogleWifi that I could set up. but again I would like the fastest and most reliable connection to be in my living room at my media centre.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

More...