Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums  

Go Back   Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums > General
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2008, 03:10 AM

Default 17 ave now has public TOILETS!!

17 ave now has public TOILETS!! great !! 200,000 dollar TAX DOLLAR toilet so we can drink and have a place to use the BATHROOM!!!
Old 03-17-2008, 03:10 AM

Calgary flushed with public toilet's success
Last Updated: Friday, February 22, 2008 | 5:57 PM MT
CBC News
Calgary's first automated public toilet has been flushed more than 6,000 times since it opened for business two weeks ago, exceeding the expectations of city officials.

"It certainly has a certain science fiction Star Trek feel to it so I think that's something that is attracting people," said Ald. John Mar. "It is a novelty but it also has great functionality."

Calgary's first automated public toilet has been flushed 6,000 times since Feb. 8.
(Joclyn Cozac/CBC) The $210,000 toilet on 17th Avenue S.W. is a pilot project for the city. After each use, the toilet seat retracts into a rear compartment, allowing an automatic wash cycle to begin that disinfects the seat, sprays the floor with water jets, and then dries everything with fans.

The unit also features voice messages and music.

"I just had to come and look at it," said Trevor Conivear, who admitted to walking several blocks to test it out. "I can't believe it talks to you and sings."

A security camera is being installed on the public potty this week to ensure the unit is not being used for illicit activities.