Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums  

Go Back   Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums > Cell Phone Talk > TELUS Home Services & Devices
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2018, 03:40 PM

Default Email to Shaw not Possible

Around May 2 I lost the ability to send emails to any xxxx@shaw.ca person from Outlook 2016 from my Desktop PC. Microsoft Support had first go with the goal of determining whether or not Outlook was the source of the problem:
Downloaded Thunderbird and setup using Telus server names and ports. No email arrives at Shaw when sent from Thunderbird using Telus settings.
Added my GMail as a second Outlook account. Results: Email from Outlook (GMail) account gets to Shaw. Email from to Outlook (Telus) does not. Microsoft view is that since two different email clients using Telus settings cannot send email to Shaw, and Outlook using Gmail settings can, then the problem is not Outlook and it's a Telus problem - call Telus.

Telus Technical Support has spent time on the problem trying a variety of server name/port numbers/encryption types before settling on the current:
IMAP 143 encryption: none
SMTP 25 encryption: none
Also tried a new email account and deleting and re-creating the original Telus email account and rebooting the modem twice.. Still cannot send e-mail to Shaw. As a clue I also could not send emails to myself at my Telus email account. They simply just didn't arrive. After one of the things Telus tried noted above - now I can, surprisingly enough. Telus Support finally had enough and advised since email from Telus Webmail to Shaw Webmail works that is all they are prepared to support. But go speak to Shaw, because it must be their problem. Shaw says nope, sorry, not us. There is nothing we could do to block a particular IP address, and we would have no reason to. If emails get here from your xxxx@telus.net account using other devices it is not our problem.

So the solution seems to be to abandon Telus email and migrate to GMail. Before doing that difficult process I thought I would see if anyone has any clues or advice.
Summary
Telus Webmail to Shaw works
Outlook (Telus account) to Shaw - doesn't get through
Outlook (GMail account) to Shaw works
Thunderbird (Telus account) to Shaw doesn't work
Outlook on my Android tablet works
Outlook on my Android phone works

More...