Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums  

Go Back   Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums > Cell Phone Talk > TELUS Home Services & Devices
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2018, 11:07 PM

Default Telus is ending bundle discounts

Today I got an email today from Telus - subject heading "an important update about your services." I often overlook these types of messages that are constantly clogging my inbox, as they're usually trying to sell something. This time I opened it, and a big headline read: "Changes to your TELUS Bundle Discounts." This got my attention enough to read further - and a sub-heading said "As a valued TELUS customer, we think it is important to keep you informed of changes to your account."

This all seems rather benign until you delve into the six-paragraph message, where I learned that "In order to drive continuous improvements to your service, TELUS has made the decision to modify the way we structure our bundles and as a result, the TELUS Bundle Discount has been discontinued." (my emphasis added).

There is so much wrong with this. Why not just say in the subject that they are stopping the discounts? This is more than an 'update about my services,' and 'changes to my account.' They aren't doing this to 'improve services' - they're doing it to make more profit. And they certainly aren't doing this because I'm a 'valued customer' or because out of the goodness of their heart they think it's 'important to keep me informed of changes to my account.'

This notification is literally the least they could do to meet the legal requirements. In fact it isn't actually enough - the agreement states 30 days notice, not seven (though they say it was on their website a month ago).

Who do they think they're fooling? Obviously some will miss this message in their inboxes, but is this really a good way to treat your customers? Stop the bull**bleep**, Telus! Just be upfront. We're going to find out sooner or later. Why go through all the work of trying to hide the message?

I was particularly incensed, since I just switched my internet and remaining family cell phones to take advantage of the bundling. I signed a two-year contract that included $12/month in bundling discounts. When I called the phone number given in the email, I was told it's their right to arbitrarily change the terms, and that's written in the fine print. I pointed out that this isn't just a rate change (as the fine print says); it's a restructuring of the agreement.

After telling the agent I was recording the call and was willing to post it on social media, I asked to speak to a manager. She was very nice and promised to deduct $12 from my bill every month for the duration of the agreement. We'll see if that happens, but I have a case number and recording in case it doesn't.

Moral of the story - always ask to go higher up until you get satisfaction, and record everything "for mutual protection."

More...