View Single Post
Old 05-13-2012, 01:38 AM

Default Vanilla Mastercard is a SCAM AVOID AVOID BEWARE RED ALERT

Vanilla Mastercard is a SCAM AVOID AVOID BEWARE RED ALERT

Purchased card, left active.

Went for a refund, due the the exchange rates, I got a credit that put the value of the card over the 25 dollar limit.

Their "compliance" department flagged the account and closed account. They are asking for the receipt of the original purchase of the CARD, that was nearly 3 years ago..

They put me through circles on their IVR. merchant said he can no longer void the refund.

premium_fax@incomm.com
AVOID.

5113-4084 XXXX XXXX

vanillamastercard.com
vanillamastercard.ca
For good reason, they "recommend that you write down the Card number and the customer service number on a separate piece of paper in case the Card is lost or stolen."

The Vanilla Prepaid Mastercard Customer Service Number is 1-800-652-9174.

other stuff posted about this company online

Last year my Mom received a Vanilla Mastercard Gift Card for $50.

She did manage to purchase one item at one store using the card but it did not work for other purchases at many other stores including Sears, Zellers and the Bay.

On the back of the card it states:

A service fee of $1.50 per month beginning on the 13th month from the day of purchase will be applied to the remaining balance as permitted by law.

We logged on to the web site to figure out what the remaining balance was. Here we discovered that a $2.50 per month service charge was applied to the remaining balance after 7 months! This is totally different to what is started on the back of the card.

This was explained on the FAQ page. This should be enough convince anyone with any common sense that these gift cards are about the dumbest gift you can give.

Fellow babblers - Is this legal?

. .

Diogenes

rabble-rouser

Member: 17394

December 24, 2009 - 3:50pm
#1 (permalink).

So I phoned the 1-800 number to protest the charges but all that is offered is a phone menu that provides the remaining balance and restates the $2.50 per month service charge. There was no option to talk to a real person.

I then sent an email to a law firm that is known for its class action lawsuit expertise with respect to excessive credit card fees.

An excerpt from the Vanilla Mastercard FAQ page:

Quote:

#10 Aren't these cards exempt from fees and expiration dates in some provinces?

No, recent legislation does not apply to prepaid cards issued by a financial institution.

No doubt the bankers are giving themselves nice bonuses for masterminding this loophole.

. .

Tommy_Paine

rabble-rouser-for-life

Member: 1214

December 24, 2009 - 5:13pm
#2 (permalink).

I guess it all depends on what information was made available to the purchaser of the card in the first place. Knowing banks, I bet it was in some fine print somewhere. And, I think it gets even dodgier because the person whose card it is, never knew that information in the first place.

Legal or otherwise, it's "sharp practice".

And, I'll certainly remember this and many other things if I'm ever on a jury for someone accused of defrauding a bank.

And, bully for you, contacting a law firm. Can you keep us posted? I'd appreciate it.

Last edited by alandbetty : 05-13-2012 at 01:42 AM.