Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums  

Go Back   Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums > Cell Phone Talk > TELUS Home Services & Devices
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-24-2021, 01:31 AM

Default Getting 2 public IP addresses on Purefibre. Can this be done with a single cable into the ONT?

Telus fibre advertises 2 public IP addresses, although getting information about how to configure and obtain them is really hard. The tech support people assured me that it wasn't possible. I told them that's it's an advertised feature, but they insisted I was mistaken.

Anyway, I eventually got them by plugging an unmanaged switch into port 1 of the ONT, and then plugging two separate routers into that switch. One router is the one supplied by Telus (T3200M), the other is a 6-port hardware firewall (Protectli Vault). This kind of works, but is clunky and is causing problems with other stuff. For example, I want to set up various VLANS where some devices would connect to the internet via public IP1, and others via public IP2. I'm not sure how to do this with the current setup since the T3200M doesn't support VLANs.

Ideally, I'd like to have 2 interfaces of the protecli vault connected to the ONT that would get the 2 public IP addresses. The Protectli Vault would then set up the VLANs appropriately. I'd then like the Telus T3200M router to get it's public IP address from the Vault instead of directly from the ONT. I would then hope that from the point of view of the Telus router, nothing would be different than before. It would also just keep providing the network for all my TVs and PVR as if nothing had changed (we have a bunch of wireless TV digital boxes and a PVR). I would make sure that things were set up so the Telus router keeps providing the same subnet as before.

Is such a setup possible? I would call Telus, but it seems that it's impossible to get in touch with someone who actually knows what's going on.

More...