Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums  

Go Back   Calgaryn.com - Everything Calgary Forums > Cell Phone Talk > TELUS Home Services & Devices
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2023, 08:21 PM

Default How to help the old lady next door with her Telus email/Gmail/Chromebook

Hello,

Sorry in advance for the lengthy post.

My next door neighbor is elderly and a Telus internet customer, not tech savvy in the slightest but she can use email and Facebook, which are lifelines to her.

When Telus migrated their email system to Gmail, we opened a Google account for her with her Telus email address. While it works, of course she has the usual problem of no Google maps, docs, etc. So when she gets emails that contain links to those things she cannot access them. I have set up a new Google and Gmail account for her and we're discussing sending a blanket email to all of her contacts asking them to use the new gmail account address, in order to start inactivatating the Telus email account. I have seen the posts in this forum about workarounds to the Telus/Google Maps problem, but not really seeing a surefire solution that will be user friendy to her and within my technical abilities to bring about (I'm stretching the limits of my brain already). So does the email address change sound like the best solution?

Next, her old laptop died a few weeks ago and we settled on a new Chromebook for her since she doesnt use most of Windows' features. For now she uses her original Google account/Telus email, and I showed her how to change Users to go to the new Google/Gmail account. Once she makes the aforementioned email address switch, everything should work per normal in the new Google/Gmail User account, correct?

Sorry for the rambling but she has no one else to help her and anytime she's taken her computer to one of the local tech places it ends up doing more harm than good. I'm hoping someone here with a good heart will answer my questions so I can continue to help her to the best of my ability.

I havent even gotten into the Zoom problem she's having with the link sent by her church every Sunday... one thing at a time. ?

Thank you.

More...